How Much Krill Oil Can a Child Take?

There is no doubt that krill oil has many benefits for a child’s body and brain. Krill oil contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential to the process of growth. Actually, the DHA fatty acid is found in breast milk, because the newborn needs it to develop intellectually. But kids’ intelligence doesn’t stop developing after the mother stops breastfeeding, and their body doesn’t naturally produce DHA or other omega-3 fatty acids. So the solution is to give children dietary supplements that contain omega-3 in order to help them grow normally, with a strong immune system and with a powerful intellect.

For children over the age of 6, it’s completely safe to take krill oil. There is kids krill oil that is meant to meet the needs of your children. For adolescents and young adults, mega red krill oil is also suitable. It’s not difficult to establish the dosage that the child needs to take. All you have to do is read the label of the krill oil supplement you purchased. Usually, a child should take one or two krill oil capsules a day, for two or three months. This depends on the capsules. Some are more concentrated in nutrients, and one capsule a day is enough. Others have the same dosage divided into two capsules. There is no reason to give your child more or less capsules than indicated on the label.

If your child is under the age of 6, it’s better to talk to your pediatrician about giving him or her krill oil supplements. This is not because krill oil isn’t safe for young children, but because each child has specific needs and, at that age, the body is still very fragile and not completely developed. The doctor will check for allergies and will establish if it is suitable to give krill oil to your child.

You should also know that krill oil can have some minor side effects, such as loose stools or other digestive problems. These usually go away in a couple of days and are nothing to worry about. But if the problem persists, just stop giving krill oil to your child and consult your pediatrician.